Monday, September 8, 2008

Maddie's Pick

I thought I would try something new. Maddie and I like to go to the library. Maddie loves, loves, loves books. She has so many. Every time we go to the library, I usually have in mind a couple of books that Maddie might like - but I don't like going in to the library just to check out a couple of books - I like to leave the library with a stack of books. So I always pick a few at random. I thought it would be neat to show you all the books we checked out, and which one Maddie liked the best. So here we go.

This week, we got:

Knock! Knock! by Jan Wahl
Splat the Cat by Rob Scotton
On the Day You Were Born by Debra Frasier
Princess Pigsty by Cornelia Funke
Where Is That Cat? by Carol Greene

I'll start with her least favorite and work my way up to her favorite.

I've heard so many wonderful things about On the Day You Were Born. I didn't care for this book. Aww, boo, hiss, moan. I don't know why I didn't like it. Maddie got extremely fidgety and even asked for another book while we were in the middle of this one.

I found that Splat the Cat was very well illustrated and well written - for some reason or another, it was kind of hard to read. I know that sounds crazy, but sometimes when there's words on the page and then a picture with words in it, I think to myself, Do I read the words in the picture first? Do I read the words in the picture ever? Why do I worry about things like that? Because I don't like to mess up the flow of the book.

Princess Pigsty - I love this book. It is such a cute story and illustrated nicely. It kept Maddie's attention and I think she even laughed a couple of times.

Where Is That Cat? This is really a cute story. Maddie got involved by trying to find the cat in each picture. She read this by herself I think two more times after I read it.

And finally, Maddie's pick is Knock! Knock! Out of all these books, I never thought in a million years she would have liked this book the best. It's about a young witch who's lonely and wants someone to keep her company. Every so often, there's a knock at the door and in walks a pair of boots, then legs, et cetera. Maddie adores this book. I can't count how many times I've found her either looking at this book or asking either me or her da-da to read it to her.

So there you go, Maddie's pick for this week is Knock! Knock! by Jan Wahl.

No comments: