Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My First Bolognese - and I'm not talking about bologna with mayo neither

This is my first time to ever make a bolognese sauce. Do you know how many times I've had to look that word up already to try and spell it? Too many to count.

I always thought bolognese sauce had something to do with bologna and mayonnaise. Wow - I just had to look that word up too. Man, I'm losing my touch. My court reporting skills have just about all gone out the window apparently!

I got the recipe from the January issue of the All You magazine. Here's a link to it.

Here's a picture of it cooking.



It calls for a cup of white wine. I happened to have an extra small bottle of chardonnay that my mother left over here well over a year ago. That whole bottle measured 3/4 of a cup, so I put in 1/4 cup sangria - by far my favorite wine. I'm such a cheap date.

Here's a picture of it after I added the milk and wine. I put the skillet on about 200 to 250 before it would reduce.



And here's the end result:



Kelly and I would both rate this a 9. It was yummy. It makes a ton though. I think next time I make it I'll only use one pound of ground beef and one can of crushed tomatoes.

As a side note, I also made fried wontons which was my first attempt I might add. My grandpa used to drive a truck for FFE. One of the many foods he hauled was frozen wontons. Someone would give him a package of it, and he'd bring them home and fry them in a little oil and put sugar on top - yummy. I put powdered sugar on these. Nobody else liked these. Kelly said they were bland. Maddie said she liked them, but I think she just said that so she wouldn't hurt my feelings. What a sweet little 4-year-old!

No comments: