Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Spaghetti Bolognese

My mother-in-law brought me a bunch of her old Kraft magazines and I've been having a heyday going through them. I made this last night and it was scrumptious. I modified it a little bit, so I'll give you my recipe.



Super Easy Spaghetti Bolognese

12 oz. thin spaghetti
1 lb. ground beef
2 cups chopped onions (Yes you really need that much!)
4 cloves minced garlic (I put about 3 or 4 teaspoons of the already minced jar kind)
1 (14 1/2 oz) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes undrained
4 Tbsp. tomato paste (I used the kind with garlic in it)
4 Tbsp Zesty Italian dressing
Parmesan Cheese (optional)

Cook pasta. While that's cooking, combine meat, onions and garlic in skillet. Cook until meat is not pink and onions are tender. Stir frequently. Drain (if necessary) but don't rinse (if that's what you normally do).

Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste and dressing. Bring to a boil. Cover. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 5 minutes or until heated through.

Drain pasta. Place in large serving bowl. Add 1/2 the meat sauce - mix lightly and sprinkle with cheese if you want.

Here's where it got a little screwed up. I mixed the pasta with 1/2 of the meat mixture. I planned on saving 1/2 the meat mixture to make Zesty Beef Chili (see recipe below) the next day, but SOMEBODY (I'm not going to name names) but SOMEBODY spooned the extra meat mixture into their bowl. They thought I had it separated like that because Maddie probably wouldn't eat it with all that meat in it. Excuses, excuses!! LOL!!

Anyway, if you can keep yourself from eating the extra 1/2 of the meat mixture, then make this:

Zesty Beef Chili

Leftover Bolognese sauce (from up there)
1 (15 oz.) Can kidney beans, drained
1/2 Cup Salsa
1 Tbsp chili powder
Any kind of shredded cheese you like (and please shred your own -cheese tastes so much better when you shred it yourself, plus I think it has less additives in it! I'm just saying!)

Spoon leftover meat sauce into saucepan. Stir in drained beans, salsa and chili powder. Cook and stir until heated through. Top with cheese of your choice if you want. Makes 2 servings, 2 cups each.

(Does anybody know how to make a link to where y'all can print out the recipes easier without having to cut and paste them? I can't figure out how to do that!)

No comments: